Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Starvin' Marvin'

Write what you know. I know Starvin' Marvin'. He lives with me. Some people complain that Concerta (time released Ritalin), inhibits appetite. They obviously have not met my teenage son. I did not this phenomenon early on before he hit his growth spurts. We knew that Matt would nibble breakfast and lunch and go wild at dinner. His meds had worn off by then.

Enter the growing teenage boy. I do not see an appetite supressant. Matt is hungry 24/7. I can't keep food in the house. He is constantly eating. He does burn it all off, but he just has a great metabolism because trust me, he's eating junk!

This kid was a picky eater, but since he has hit those growing teen years, he has tried more food than he ever has his whole life. He eats more of his dinner than he ever has. He is a chow hound.

I think it all evens out in the end. We always worry as mothers that our children aren't eating enough or getting the right nutrients. They do go through eating stages as the are growing. Matt has always eaten when he is in a growth spurt.

I wouldn't worry about whether your child eats or doesn't eat because they will eat when they are hungry. So long as the doctor doesn't feel they are underweight due to their meds, let them eat when nature tells them to. YOu don't want them to get food hang-ups like our parents gave us. People have enough weight problems. Let them learn to eat when they are really hungry and stop when they are full.

No comments: