Monday, August 27, 2007

Stop the insanity!

Some days just make me want to pull my hair out. I say this with a mother's love. If your child has ADHD, I know you understand. You love them to death. You love their energy, their view on the world, their differences, but honestly, some days, you feel like lighting yourself on fire.

Let's talk about this morning. I am NOT a morning person at all. That being said, my dear husband makes my coffee every morning to assist me in waking up and being semi-coherent and friendly. My children learned long ago that they need to fix their own breakfast. It just isn't happening folks!

Anyway, I digress. It's time to go and Matt has spent his morning finding his school supplies to go in his brand new backpack. Now, he wasn't interested in a new back pack before school started. He thought he might find his old one. I believe we got rid of it. Also, school had not started, therefore, any thought on school was disgusting. We bought his new backpack Sunday. He had all day to search for the stuff his teachers wanted. Did he do it? NO! What was more important? Video games, race on tv...anything but that stinkin' backpack.

This morning he asks me where the paper is. On the way out the door, none of his items are in his backpack. They are in a stack, which he is holding under his arm, on top of his backpack. I guess the time to put it all in is in the five minute ride to school? Of course, doing all this arranging this morning, made him forget his id. Which I happened to notice on the way out the door. "Matt, do you have your id?"

"No."

So now he needs to go back in when we are supposed to be leaving. I have to wait because I have the door key.

Aggravation number two. My ipod is not charged. The little skunk likes to listen to it. However, it wasn't plugged in to maintain the battery power. He let the battery run out. Sometimes he listens to it before he falls asleep. I'm on my way to the gym, and I'm facing running with no music. I'm sorry, but that is boring. I feel like if you use my stuff, at least leave it the way it was when you got it...i.e. charged.

In addition, he is ruining my headphones because he has wrapped the cord so tight around the ipod, it is pulling the wiring out. As well as, he doesn't put the ipod back in my running case. He just takes it out and sets the case wherever so I end up running around having to find it. I like to wear my ipod on my arm when I run. My mini had a clip and I wore it on my shorts, but the nano doesn't so I got a little neoprene running band to put on my arm.

If I have a bad workout, I'm mad. I can't help it, so finding the ipod out of power just doesn't bode well for the morning for me since I am not a morning person in the first place.

However, I regrouped, and decided not to bitch him out all the way to school since I don't want to send him in on the wrong foot with his ODD out and end up in trouble.

Ah, so much to manage in the morning. Why he can't do this crap the day before, even when I ask 100 times, I will NEVER figure out, but it makes total sense in his ADHD teen mind.

Let's talk about driving. Matt hasn't driven since our last driving incident, except for a brief stint to the Pig. I let him drive home from Kohl's yesterday on some back roads as I felt it would give him alot of different experience without all the traffic that goes along our main roads.

He was fine, until he took a corner too wide and too fast. I corrected him, and it went downhill from there. He is driving me nuts. This time in his anger, he decided to drive right down the middle of the road. Yes, people. Right down the middle. Lucky there was no oncoming traffic and it was a neighborhood road, but a divided road, nonetheless. I laid into him when we got home, which made him mad and yell at me. Lou came running, and I got mad and had to go for a walk. I was so mad at Matt, I could hardly breathe. It felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest.

He doesn't want to listen. I know it is his ODD when he gets corrected, but the rule is you listen to the parent or you don't drive.

He wants to be better than his sister. The rule is you drive and progress at your pace and not at the pace of the other sibling.

He wants Caitee to have the radio off, too. Caitee doesn't need the radio off. That rule is for the ADHD driver.

He wants me not to think of him in the context of ADHD. So I asked him if he only had one arm, would I think of him as a two arm driver? That he understood apparently.

Sometimes I need off this wild ride. Just for a moment. But then I give him a hug and kiss and tell him I love him dearly. He let me, too. I get his sweet smile, and I still want off the wild ride, but it makes it bearable, doesn't it!

No comments: