Wednesday, August 29, 2007

How do you present yourself?

I just wonder how you present yourself when you are picking up your child from school, or when they arrive home from the bus, or when you hit the door after a long day fo work?

I read an article once about that. It really hit home. I make a special point of smiling. It's important to greet them with a smile. You know why? Because you will get one back. It also sets the tone for the afternoon or evening, don't you think?

Imagine how you would feel if you were greeted by a grunt or someone started in nagging you as soon as you hit the door or got in the car. It's much better and makes your child feel good if you greet them with a smile. After all, they haven't seen you all day!

Yesterday, my car pool was dropping off my son, and I saw them pull up. I made a point of opening the front door and putting on a big smile and a frantic wave of hello. In spite of his teen self, he had to smile and give me a big cheese. I even said, "Let me give you a big hug. I haven't seen you all day."

Guess what? He said ok. Now, that is something if you ask me.

Give it a try. You will be amazed. They feel better, and you feel better. I love how Matt's smile makes me feel. It warms me up all over. My child is smiling at me!

No comments: