Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Cheerleader

There is a girl on a JV squad I know that has ADHD. Her older sister told me one day. Frankly, I wasn't surprised. This nice young girl turned to me at a game one night and said, "I'm not going to be able to sit here for two hours."

This I completely understood. So I gave her something to do for a quarter and also sent her on "errands" for drinks for me at the concession stand.

The thing is, cheerleading is great for her. She has so much energy. Now, she does have a harder time learning the cheers. That's concentration, and frankly, the coach should give her some more one on one, but he's not a teacher, and doesn't know or understand about ADHD.

But her spirit is head and shoulders above the rest of her team mates. Not over the top, just right if you ask me. She's not too loud, but she participates and stays busy cheering the team on.

Sometimes her form leaves something to be desired, but it's the ADHD more than anything else. Just excitement getting the cheer out and all that stuff going on around her.

I told her she was my favorite. And she is. She has spunk! I don't know how she does in school, but she has to do well enough to maintain a C average or she can't cheer. I think that cheerleading is going to do great things for her confidence, which I noticed at the start of the year could use a little help.

Her older sister kind of rides her, too. Instead of realizing it is the adhd making her bounce around, she chastises her for not sitting still like her twin. Kind of a bummer only because I know this road so well with Matt. But I plan on being her cheerleader. Keep her going and make sure she knows she is doing a great job and frankly out-cheerleading the rest of her squad.

No comments: