Monday, June 4, 2007

More Humor and ODD, too

Along with the frustration, there is alot of humor. You just need to keep your eyes open for those times and enjoy the moments.

Let's talk about ODD first and then have a good laugh over a couple things Matt did over the weekend!

Often times with ADHD children will have a co-existing condition. Some children have ADHD and are bi-polar. Boy is that tough. Let me tell you, I know a few mother's whose children have this, and it is very hard to keep all that under control. As luck would have it, the most often co-existing condition is ODD or Oppositional Defiant Disorder. There are many websites out there that discuss this topic, and if your child has ADHD, you definitely need to read up on it. You definitely need to deal with it, too.

It's manageable. Don't freak. You'll see. I just mention it because I know you will experience it. I did, and still do with Matt, but not as much. You see, he's come a long way from the early days of his diagnosis. But push the right buttons and his ODD rears it's ugly head.

Just a general chat for now. I'll add a few links, too, for you to check out, and we can discuss it more in detail as we go on!

On to the humorous part of our day! Oh the laugh I had over this one. As we were getting ready for a wedding, to which Matt had no interest in attending because he is a teenage boy, he tried to wear his tennis shoes (among other things like shorts and a t-shirt). I told him in no uncertain terms to go get his Sperry's because he wasn't wearing tennis shoes to any wedding with us. He came into my room and proceeded to reach between the mattress and the box spring where his shoes were stored...

As we were driving the two hours it took to get to the wedding, I said to my husband, "I know he stuck his shoes in there to hide them so he wouldn't have to wear them."

To which Matt replied, "No. That's not it at all. I put glove softener on them."

He is playing softball for a church league, and we had to buy a glove for him. A new glove needs to be softened with leather conditioner and folded in half and stuck between the m attress to get its shape right. Naturally, it follows in the ADHD mind that if leather softener works for your glove, it will work for your Sperry's and make them more comfortable.

I'm still laughing over that one!

Now, as luck would have it, when he pulled his shoes out of the mattress, they had a hole on each end. I looked at my husband and said, "They have holes in them. He is not wearing shoes to a wedding with holes in them."

I'm sucha mother, aren't I? Anyway, my husband said that they weren't holes it looked like marker or dirt. I said, "No, those are holes."

Sure enough, upon close examination of the Sperry's, there were holes. I have no idea about how they got there, but in any case, they were unwearable as far as I was concerned.

Much to our dismay, we had to make a stop on the way to the wedding to purchase new shoes with about a 10-15 minute window to grab and go. We did it! And Matt ended up looking nice and handsome. My children received many compliments, and so I was very pleased!

On they way home, Matt pipes up from the back of the car, "I'm keeping these shoes."

I look at my husband quizzically and say, "Does he really think he can return them now?"

That's not ADHD, that's teen. But, honestly, he's worn them all day and the weather was a torrential downpour so they got wet...return them to the store? Oh, that kid just really cracks me up!

No comments: