Thursday, June 7, 2007

The Right Doctor

There is so much to chat about with ADHD. I'm sure I'm never going to run out of topics. I've learned so much over the past several years through reading, research and living with my ADHD kid!

An essential tool in the arsenal of ADHD is the doctor, but you have to do your part with him as well. I'm sure you are noticing a common theme here: how much you have to do. That's the thing there, mom, you are the key to getting all these pieces coordinated and keeping it all together.

If you have friends whose children have ADHD, you will know right away who to go see. At least if you talk to them! There may be more than two doctors in my town that are pro-ADHD, but I do know of two exactly at the moment. Mostly because everyone goes to this one pediatricians' office or my family doctor.

What is a pro-ADHD doctor? One that listens to you and works with you. I'm sure there is a doctor or two in your town that is known for being good with ADHD. That's who you need to go see. Don't waste time experimenting unless that office is not on your insurance. Save yourself the time, money, and agony.

The right doctor knows that ADHD really exists. I'll talk more about that later as I've got some great stories on that topic. However, you have to bring your facts with you when you come, and make sure that he knows you are doing your part with home, school and counseling.

One of my favorite questions is: Is your child more active than other children? How would I know? When he plays with his friends, they are as active as him. He's always been that way so I wouldn't know any different. I just find this to be a poor question since we, the parent, have been dealing with the activity for HOW LONG!!! Anyway, this only applies if your kid is diagnosed with the hyperactivity part, which mine is!

Frankly, activity is but a piece of the puzzle. They can hyperfocus, too. Try and pull them away from a video game, which is ADHD heaven. So much going on at a pace their brain can keep up with and enjoy. Not like the rest of the time when they are twenty thoughts ahead of the rest of the world. So can your child sit still? Yes, if they are hyperfocused.

Back to the topic at hand. The doctor is the one who prescribes the medication that is a piece of the puzzle to successfully managing ADHD. Medication is not the whole answer. You absolutely need behavior modification and family counseling along with it, plus the school's buy in.

If not, your equilateral triangle is unbalanced. I've mentioned that before. Everyone has to do their part to keep everything moving forward.

Medication is not an exact science. Your doctor needs to be a good listener. You need to give him the right facts. Leave the emotion at home.

For example, Matt started out on Ritalin. I started getting notes home that before lunch he was having some problems in class. After lunch, he would be fine. He was taking the Ritalin 3 times a day. Breakfast, lunch, dinner. What was happening was that the Ritalin was wearing off right before lunch. Then he would go to the nurse for his med and have lunch, after which he would be fine for the rest of the day. Until he got home with me and then I would see a window of change before dinner time.

With this information, the doctor was able to see that Matt was having peaks and troughs with the Ritalin. It should have been seemless, but he was metabolizing it in such a way, that we could see him come off. You're not supposed to. We changed Matt to Concerta, a time released Ritalin, and BINGO, his problem was solved! For the time being.

Children grow. That's one reason you have to be ever vigilant. You, the teachers, the counselor, everyone has to notice the changes. When they grow, their dosage isn't right anymore, and it has to be changed. You need to be able to go to the doctor and say, "I notice that he is blah blah blah...(insert behavior you notice here)."

Most often you will notice, and the teacher(s) will notice, and that will be your cue! Or as your child gets older, he may say, "I'm having more trouble paying attention."

Matt was able to tell me that this year. Very helpful. They learn things, too, as they go along.

Medication is not an exact science. I will leave that topic for another day. Let it suffice to say that it is part of the keys to success in your child's life. The doctor is the only one that prescribe that medication, and he has to be on your side, part of your team. If not, you are wasting your time. Get someone new!

No comments: